Saturday, November 6, 2010

A New Workspace


In order to complete the restoration, over the cold New England winter months, I needed to construct a shelter over the boat. I considered a steel building, or even new construction with a foundation, but these options were just too expensive. Kits for portable garages and greenhouse style shelters are also available, but these ran about $5,000 for the size I needed, and I thought that was a bit much also. So, I designed a structure based on schedule 40 black pipe footings, driven deeply into the ground, with 1" EMT structure mounted on top of them. The EMT fittings are available online from http://tarps.com, along with some very useful information, and the pipe and EMT are local hardware store items. I procured the actual tarp from http://www.tarpsonline.com. I used the heavy white tarp, in a 40' x 60' size. Once the tarp was stretched over the structure, I screwed it every 18 inches, at the bottom, to wooden strips that are U-bolted to the pipe. All in all, it worked out beautifully, and I now have a dry space to work all winter. As the weather gets cold, I will be putting heat out there as well....

No comments:

Post a Comment